- 1912 Propane gas is discovered in Western Pennsylvania. In an effort to capture and stabilize flammable hydrocarbon gases from gasoline, a scientist and entrepreneurs in Pittsburgh discovered propane gas. Propane was originally marketed as GASOL; propane’s first installation for heating, cooking and gas lights was in western PA.
- 1924 Pennsylvania Protane, a bottled gas company, in Somerset, PA was founded by Robert Boyd Picking.
- 1950 Pete Pucci and Tony Bonadio were the primary employees of Pennsylvania Protane. The office/warehouse moved several times throughout the heart of Somerset along North Center to South Edgewood Avenue. The company specialized in bottled gas delivery, as well as sales and service of gas appliances.
- 1963 Tony and Millie Bonadio purchased the company from Robert Boyd Picking and changed the name to Pennsylvania Propane Gas Company. Tony, George Dively and a secretary were the primary employees.
- 1964 Tony Bonadio became a MAYTAG distributor, selling not only washing machines, but dryers, stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, and eventually microwaves.
- 1974 Joe Bonadio, son of Tony and Millie, joined the company.
- 1979 Pennsylvania Propane purchased Stoner Gas in Rockwood, PA. Due to this acquisition, Pennsylvania Propane moved their offices to Somerset Avenue, Rockwood.
- 1986 Pennsylvania Propane moved into their current location at 1789 Garrett Road, Rockwood. The new plant provided a customer show room, as well as 30,000 gallons of propane storage.
- 1997 Pennsylvania Propane added an additional 60,000 gallons of propane storage.
- 2005 Pennsylvania Propane added an additional 2,000 square feet to their show room to showcase a wider range of gas fireplaces and heaters.
- Our growth continues to attract talented employees and new customers relying on integrity and values.
Somerset County Builders Association
Pennsylvania Propane Gas Association
National Propane Gas Association
National Federation of Independent Business
National Fire Protection Association