When it comes to gas systems and appliances, safety is a top priority. If you smell gas in your home or business, follow these steps:
- NO FLAMES OR SPARKS. Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
- SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call us right away at (814) 926-4654; then press 1 on your touchtone phone. You may have to leave a message, but someone will return your call as soon as possible. If you receive no return call within 10 minutes, call 911 or your local fire department.
- DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until one of our staff, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
- GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, a Pennsylvania Propane Gas Company technician or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
Safety and Training
Safe Appliance Installation
Safe Grilling Tips
Winter Weather Safety Tips
Power Outage Safety